Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angraecum popowii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

This was an import two years ago. It never had any shock and has grown well. This is the second time it has bloomed. To establish originally, I put one single strand layer of NZ Sphagnum over the roots and will now start slowly pulling away.

F50C3498-3614-4063-8505-019547C107E4.jpeg
    7C3BB671-123D-4998-AECB-823DCEFED980.jpeg

2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Wow - absolutely outstanding. How cool did you keep this one over the winter?

3. Chuck-NH

Thanks! Experiences 50 - 54 F (10-12 C) for winter nights. I do tend to keep a little dry at that time as well

4. ezluckyfreee

ezluckyfreee Member

what's it mounted on?

5. Chuck-NH

The mount is Kalmia latifolia (Mountain Laurel)...it is a native understory shrub/small tree, where I live, which forms nearly impenetrable stands in the forest. When maintaining trails, I save the trunks and branches for mounting Orchids and I have not experienced any epiphytic Orchid not liking it. It also lasts many years.

wpinnix and ezluckyfreee like this.
  6. rico

rico Active Member

That looks great! Is the air dry or is it in a humid area; I see you mention it being a "little dry" in winter? I bought two seedlings last fall and am afraid to lay a finger on them they're so small and fragile-looking.

7. Chuck-NH

It’s in a greenhouse and can get a little dry in the coldest parts of the winter when the ambient humidity is low on those below zero (F) nights. While that does factor in, I was referring more to the actual watering...it probably gets watered only once or twice per week in the winter as opposed to now when it is watered nearly every sunny day.

8. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

I haven't seen this species before, thank you for sharing. The flowers seem huge compared to the delicate leaves