Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angraecum magdalenae hybrid

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Kitty, May 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

the biggest flower I've ever seen.
    IMG_0194.JPG

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I think this may be Angraecum Lemforde White Beauty (magdalenae x sesquipedale).

3. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

It is a nice size -- I am assuming it doesn't have tag since you aren't sure of its identity???? And I like that you didn't just use a $1 -- nope, went for the big guns and used a $100 :)

4. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

Reyna, it didn't have a tag but it was with a group that did. I looked at the primary that Marni suggested, and a bunch of photos when I googled it, the only reason I questioned the ID was because of its size, regardless its a keeper, I brought it in this evening and put it next to my chair, if I close my eyes I think I may be in Hawaii :)

5. Reyna

I love the fragrance too -- just heavenly! It is dark right now in the greenhouse, but I have a Lemford White Beauty with similar flowers. I'll take a shot for comparison tomorrow.

6. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

thanks Reyna I would love to see your. I've passed the photo around to a number of my orchid friends and I am resigned to the majority that it is the hybrid, big sigh.....

7. Reyna

Yeah, I think it is a hybrid too. Here is one of my Lemforde White Beauty's -- the other one got its own post as the "Queen Bee." Based on my two Lemforde White

Beauty -- I would think yours is magdalanae x something other than sesquipedale. It has that prominent ridge in the mouth of the lip that is unlike either of mine. Though -- it could be.
    lwb2a.jpg

8. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

I think you are correct Reyna, I don't think mine has the substance that yours appears to have, as well as fuller segments on mine, think I will label it as Angraecum magdalance hybrid.

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Debra, I moved this thread and added "hybrid" to the name.

10. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

I tend to agree with Marni, that this is a Lemforde White Beauty. I had one about a dozen years ago and Kitty's plant is the spitting image of it. The flowers on mine did not look like Reyna's photo; it was definitely not that waxy. All I have is an old 35mm photo from back then where the whites got horribly washed out. But my memory, and the form and details that can still be seen in the photo, match Kitty's flower.

I have since gotten a replacement plant with three more or less mature fans from a friend and am waiting for it to bloom -- and when and if it does, I'll get a good photo this time.

11. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

thank-you Marni and CJ