Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angraecum ID

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Chuck-NH, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I love Angraecoids, but can’t say I’m too proficient at recognizing the different species. This is a first bloom of an import a couple years back that was supposed to be Angraecum ramosum. Clearly that isn’t the case, but does anyone have a guess...looks similar to germinyanum, but not quite. I also looked at conchoglossum, but the growth habit doesn’t match. I’m probably looking at the right complex of species, but just don’t have a good key/guide.

D7B28706-0753-46E1-87C3-BB612F158847.jpeg

ABFBD0A1-9E1D-4F3A-9E62-0F429E10D696.jpeg

J E and Sabinchen like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

From what I've researched, Angraecum ramosum is not a valid species. I have something from Madagascar that is label A. ramosum. It branches freely and I don't know what it is.

Angraecum."ramosum" LOC ruler.1580.jpg

J E, Sabinchen and Chuck-NH like this.
  3. Chuck-NH

Thanks for your comments and photo Marni. Looks pretty similar.

4. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Orchid Nerd

If it is new, it should be called Angraecum chuckii-marniae :D

Marni likes this.
  5. Chuck-NH

Cute! When I was in Colombia in 2019, they threatened to name a Telipogon “chuckii”...but luckily didn’t happen

6. Marni

Don't worry Chuck, they only do that to women.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  7. Marni

I'm not certain that what Chuck and I have is the same thing. The proportions of the lip to the other segments is very different. The growths on my branch heavily and the leaves are soft. Chuck, are the leaves on yours a bit leathery?

Chuck-NH likes this.
  8. Chuck-NH

Hi Marni, I still think the blooms aren’t that far off from yours and since mine was a first bloom after import, it hasn’t really settled in. It hasn’t branched yet, but has put out a lot of aerial roots. Leaves are quite thin, a little leathery and quite flexible.

9. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

This is likely to be Angraecum germinyanum (section Arachnangraecum) from the Comoro Islands.

Stewart et al. (2006) says: Plants with different leaf forms have been noticed in the wild; in cultivation the longer, narrower leaves may appear on new growths while the older parts of the plants bear the shorter, ligulate leaves near the base of the the stems.

This species has been confused by both Perrier (1941) and Garay (1973) with Angraecum ramosum which is quite different and is now placed in section Pseudojumellea.

Angraecum ramosum is still listed as a valid species in the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families.

Reference:
    Stewart, J., Hermans, J. & B. Campbell. (2006) Angraecoid Orchids. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon.

J E likes this.