Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ancistrochilus thomsonianus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a first bloom seedling of a not very common African species. I grow it in a warm greenhouse without a distinct dry rest. It is from a flask that I got from Troy Meyers a few years ago.

ancis.thom.close.6211.cleaned.sm.jpg

ancis.thom.side.close.jpg

ancis.thom.habit.6211.jpg

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

So crisp and perfect. Beautiful.

3. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Think I will come to California and take one with me...

4. juanriog

juanriog Barcelona, Spain. Inter GH.

Delicious plant!
    I have killed this last summer 2 young plants. I don't really don't know why.
    Their were cultivated in a mix of bark/ perlite/ sphagnum. I think it was to moist for them.
    Which pot mix do you use Marni? This ceramic pot make think in moist to. So I really don't know witch was the real problem. My rest period is during winter for all my plants, do you think it is correct for this one?
    Thanks
    J.

5. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

Beautiful flower. Especially with the subtle purple strain!

6. Pixietoe

Pixietoe Active Member

So beautiful! What's the size of the flowers vs. the plant?

7. rico

rico Active Member

Oh my goodness Marni! Those flowers look huge! What are you doing to that plant to get those results?! :D

8. Marni

To Rico and Heike, I know the plant looks really heroic in the picture. It is a first bloom seedling, so I don't know how large it can get over time. It is small plant. It is shown in 2.25"/6cm diameter planter. The flower is about 2.5"/6.3cm wide.

Juan, this grows in a 2"/5cm net pot that normally sets inside a 2.25"/6cm plastic pot. It is in a fine bark mix with some medium tree fern and pumice. It is dry or almost dry before watering again. I grow it in a warm greenhouse in moderate light with dilute fertilizer at every watering and year round watering. I did grow some of the seedlings in moss the first year or so but those in bark seemed to do better.

9. juanriog

Thanks for you culture tips! I'm sure it was to much moist in the media!
    I wil try again next season!
    Regards

10. Marni

Juan, are you growing this or Ancistrochilus rothschildianum? For A rothschildianum I do give a somewhat drier winter. Also I do best with that in moss in a terra cotta pot so that during the active growing season the moss is moist but not soggy and then it gets a somewhat dry rest in the winter.

11. juanriog

Yes Marni, it was this one. Thanks for the info. I think that my problem growing plants in pots... I'm used to water a lot, because I almost have all my collection mounted. I have to make more circuits in my watering system....or perhaps use moos and a plastic basket (very open ones)
    Thanks for your comments

12. Marni

Juan, I water my mounted plants on a separate cycle from the potted ones. Most things seem to like a wet dry cycle, some shorter some longer. To grow a wide variety of plants I found I needed different zones. In nature these are epiphytes so you might do better with it mounted.

juanriog likes this.
  13. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing flower! So was it around 4 years out of flask for the first flower?

14. Marni

Naoki, I got the flask in May of 2011. I replated the plants because they were small. The first date I have on a tag is July 2012 which would be a bit less than 3.5 years out of flask. Now that I have experience with terrestrials in flask, I would have left them in flask longer so I would have had a better survival rate.

naoki likes this.
  15. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marni. So when you replate, how do you disinfect the plants? Troy ships out deflasked seedlings, so I'm guessing that you need to do something? H2O2?

16. Marni

I asked him to ship in flask in the hopes that they wouldn't contaminate. They were jumbled but still clean. I think I had to pay a bit extra to get them in flask.

17. chrismende

chrismende Waaaay too many! Supporting Member

Elegant!

18. Ybane94

Ybane94 Active Member

Nice pic and species!

19. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Hi Marni, Thought I'd ask how this one has fared since the last post. Did it bloom this winter? Beautiful thing!

20. Marni

I did bloom a few plants last fall and pollinated them. I don't seem to be able to get the capsules to maturity. I tried the year before also. They abort after a month or so. I tried drying the plants while they were holding capsules. I didn't succeed with the capsules and the plants suffered a bit. I was able to get Ancistrochilus rothchildianus to hold a capsule and now have germination. I won't give up.

wpinnix and Kipper like this.