Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Anastomosis "White Willd"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Richard J. Gamble, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Richard J. Gamble

Richard J. Gamble New Member

Hi, Richard Gamble here. I love in upstate NY, originally from Ct. 66 yrs young, retired.
    I became interested in Orchids after seeing my mother-in-law having success by ignoring her's most of the time. Decided to try my hand with a Phaelenopsis, Success! A few failures. Tried a Cattleya, lasted several years, never bloomed finally died. Tried Dendrobiums little sucess.
    Here's my question: about 5 hrs ago found an unusual looking Phael. Which I now believe is "White Willd" it had small white & yellow flowers 4 or 5 stalks loaded with buds. Never saw one like this before. 5 yrs and it has never bloomed again, being a Phael. I assumed it would easy to maintain.
    What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Hello, Richard.

First of all, without a confirmed label to identify the plant, you're never going to know its identity for sure. There is no registered hybrid with than name.

There are a number of reasons an orchid won't bloom.

Many hybrid phalaenopsis grow very well if kept very warm, but will not initiate an inflorescence unless they have been exposed to about two weeks at an average growing temperature about 10°-15° lower than that at which it had been grown. After that "cool down period" it should be returned to the previous conditions.

What fertilizer formula have you used, at what mixing concentration per-gallon, and how often?

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member