Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

An orchid story

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ricardo, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

A few decades ago, when I was an University student, I went to stay in the house of a friend that lived in the capital of our island. The mother of my friend loved all plants but knew very little about orchids. She asked me to take a look at one of her plants, the complaint was that it never bloomed. When I saw the plant I was startled, it was easily the largest Oncidium altissimum I had ever seen, it was about four feet across. The pseudobulbs were large and plump. The plant had too many growths to count. I could not find a fault with it, but most surprising, the plant had evidence of having produced dozens probably even hundreds of inflorescences. I was baffled. Then I asked my friend's mother about the inflorescences. She said that she had seen them all right. That they were an awful bother and that she would cut them as fast as she could find them. She thought that the inflorescences were vines invading her immaculate orchid plant! Considering that Onc. altissimum inflorescences can reach ten feet long and take a long time to bloom, I could not blame her. And every local grower can tell you that morning glory vines are tenacious, stubbornly invasive pests. I advised her on how to manage the very long inflorescences, and the plant produced a massive, glorious blooming. Sadly, this was before everybody and their dog has a camera on their phone, and no photo remains of that wonderful event.

Marni, Kipper, JohnF and 3 others like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Great story!!!

3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I'll share one...

I was at an orchid show as a vendor. A lady asked how she could get her moth orchid to bloom. "It gets flower spikes like mad! There must be at least a dozen right now, and I stake them religiously, but never any blossoms." I suspected she was knocking the buds off, but other than that, I was totally baffled. Fortunately, she said she had a photo, and would bring it by later.

That afternoon, she showed up again, and handed me a photo of the plant - with at least 15 aerial roots beautifully staked straight up!

Marni, Kipper, KellyW and 2 others like this.
  4. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Great stories!

5. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

I use to stake phlaenopsis plants so they would be upright, but then I saw a plant on its side with its flowers cascading downwards. Not a stake to be found, It looked natural on its side. That's the way I grow them now.