Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ah the Football Bowl Season

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Clark, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Clark

Clark Gator Member

I have my picks selected and submitted. I have to admit I pick Texas to beat Ohio State, like who can't beat Ohio State.

2. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

Only Bowl game I am really concerned about is the Rose Bowl where #8 Penn State will upset #5 USC

3. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

I hope the Gators get smeared.

4. Brant

Brant dazed

dipped in BEER batter and deep fried sounds good !

5. Clark

Clark Gator Member

MJ and Brant I've got great news. I just found the SEC Championship game on Comcast's OnDemand. Now I can watch the game all year long.

6. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

I bet that makes you feel *funny* in your panties, doesn't it?

Have you ever fed your cats gator?

7. Brant

Brant dazed

*snicker* *snicker*

8. Clark

Clark Gator Member

No way, but our first cat was named Bo Gator. Wife wanted something for Bogart and wanted something for the Gators. He was a legend in his own time. Lived to the ripe old age of 14. He really enjoyed squirrels. I would crack open the sliding glass door to shoot those basta*ds of the bird feeder. Ole Bo Gator would be right there beside me just waiting. As soon as the shot was fired he would shot out the door to grab some dinner. He would eat everything but the tail. Ah the memories.

9. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Humphrey Bogart?

Hey Clark, can you explain the whole BCS thing to me? How does that work? Or does it work?
    Please keep football terminology to a minimum. You know how slow I am.

10. Clark

Clark Gator Member

That's right Humphrey Bogart.

Now for the explanation of the BCS poll. First of all three polls are combined to get the BCS standing, the Harris Poll, the Coaches Poll, and the Computer Poll. There are at least six different people who generate a computer poll. They use different algorithms in their equations to get the final standings in the computer polls (I hope I didn't lose you with the algorithm term). Someone may weigh heavier on something like strength of current opponents versus strength of total schedule. This is where the math gets really complicated, but since they use like six mathematicians the error gets small (just ask Jon). They then take your maximum possible score in each of the 3 polls. Lets say the maximum points you can have in the Harris poll is 3000 points and your team has a total of 2900, you score a 0.967 for that poll. If you look at the Oklahoma's score for the computer rankings, you'll see they have a 1.000, which means all the computer polls ranked them #1. So, you take you percentage (that's the 0.967) from each poll and add them up, divide by 3 (since there are three polls) and you have your final BCS ranking.

I hope this math has not been to taxing on your sweet little head.

11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Umm, yea I found that confusing and I actually understood the BCS before I read that. :eek:

The BCS is an attempt to combine the subjective and often completely whacked-out stupid, human polls, with mathematical computer-based models (polls), with the hopes of the combination resulting in a fair and accurate representation of the two best teams in the country. For instance, this year in the Big 12 south you had the Sooners, Longhorns, and Red Raiders all with the same record and each had lost to each other. So how do you decide who wins the south? The BCS ranking. Why? Because it combines human and computer polls and is therefore, theoretically, fair.

If you just leave it up to humans, you'll have the f'in longhorns in the championship game every damn year because they're a bunch of whiners and have managed to lodge alumni in voting positions all over the country (bastards!). If you leave it up to the computers alone, we'd have Boise State playing Fresno State every damn year. Neither one alone is fair or accurate. Combined, they are less unfair and somewhat more accurate.

I'm trying REALLY hard not to talk any smack right now. *zips lip*
    Boomer Sooner!!!

p.s. Sam Bradford is just about the most deserving recipient of the Heisman trophy I've ever seen. On stats alone it is a no brainer, but he is such a great kid. It is remarkable that Oklahoma (the state) produced such a role model. :D

12. Clark

Clark Gator Member

You want to talk about whack out, lets talk about the Heisman. How can Tebow have the most first place votes and loose. It's easy when half of the voters from the southwest do not vote for second or third, those votes just don't count. But I don't mind mind because as Tim says "I will not forget, I'm motivated."

13. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

I'm sure that happened because while he may have gotten the most 1st place votes, he also got a LOT less #2 or #3 votes than Bradford. And that's probably largely because Tebow already has one. Why give him another one? He only beats Bradford in ONE stat, rushing yds. Every single other stat you can measure, Slingin' Sam is the clear winner. So it really makes no sense for Tebow to win under any scenario. Now Colt McCoy might have a good argument, but again, Bradford's stats are unprecedented. If he doesn't go to the NFL, wow...the sky is the limit!

Y'all are lucky we lost Demarco Murray. He was good for 200 all purpose yards in every game. :D

14. Clark

Clark Gator Member

Because the voters didn't vote 2nd and 3rd. They should pass a rule that if you don't vote the entire ballot, your vote doesn't count. Don't matter any way, don't put me in Sam's pants when the GATORS come looking for you. Just ask MJ.

15. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

I didn't understand any of that. Not one bit. Nada.

What does BCS stand for? Why not call it the HCC championship? For Harris, Coaches and Computers?

16. Clark

Clark Gator Member

:bang:

And I thought I did a good job of splaining.

17. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Hell, it's called the BCS and it's named for three polls. Harris, coaches and computers. HCC not BCS. See theyf want to confuse people.
    I say lets do away with it and just play football.

18. Clark

Clark Gator Member

Well the best thing I've heard is "Let's get back to the good old days when we had good college football games on New Years Day." Remember when the Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta Bowls were played on New Years Day? After that we can take whose #1 and they can play whose #2 for the National Championship.

Still won't help Ohio State this year, but it will take us back to the good times.

19. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

So you don't know what BCS stands for, correct?

20. Clark

Clark Gator Member

It's Bowl Championship Series