Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Aerangis Winter Dove x fastuosa

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by T. migratoris, Mar 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. T. migratoris

T. migratoris Active Member

Kind of a strange, complex Aerangis hybrid. I've been told it originated at Hoosier. Flowers are very showy but the infloresence is short so they bunch up together just beneath the leaves of the plant. Not my favorite angraecoid hybrid but the flower shape is nice & it doesn't occupy much wall space.
    Aer Winter Dove x fastuosa .001 03-24-12 01 sm.jpg Aer Winter Dove x fastuosa .001 03-24-12 03 sm.jpg

2. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

I've never heard about it but it is really beautiful!!

3. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Great flowers, even with the short spike!

4. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Nice! I think I may have one of those. If i do, i'm *clearly* not giving it enough light.

5. T. migratoris

Yeah ... the red kinda gives the light level away.

6. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Oh my heavens! I have one of those too, but it hasn't bloomed. It is going to higher light right now. Maybe I'll show it this picture to inspire it! That is gorgeous! Love how it flattened out the fastuosa.

7. mini-catts

mini-catts Member

This has been registered as Aerangis Winter Snow. and was made by Hoosiers. I have 2 blooming now and neither are as nice as yours!
    Pete

8. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Is showing plants of the same grex in the same thread bad form? You may have seen it already Robin.

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Daniel, I think that would vary from person to person, but starting a new thread would work. You could put a new thread and link it to this one with a url so people could compare them.

Robin, I rather like the presentation on this one. Though perhaps less elegant, there is something fun about it

10. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

Spectacular bloom!

I'm noting the light level also. I got my plant from Hoosier about 4 years ago, and the most flowers it has ever had is two at a time. I have been growing it pretty shady on a kitchen windowsill. That may account for, as far as I can judge from the photo (and could be wrong), the somewhat longer leaves (10" LS) and perhaps longer spikes (5") on my plant. Definitely have to find a happy midpoint here. I think I prefer more flowers, so let there be light!

11. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Bizarre and showy! It does lack the grace of more broadly-spaced flowers. Great job blooming it so nicely. I can see you really push these to their limits of light tolerance. Have you ever used a light meter to take a reading of what your mounted Aërangis receive?

12. T. migratoris

I've been expecting this question. No, but a light meter's on my list of tools to acquire. I know the light's too high for many Aerangis but I move them around, mess with location, etc. until I think they're reasonably happy. It's interesting to see how many Aerangis can tolerate more light than is recommended, but I also recognize that tolerance and happiness are different things. I need to manage light better ... I simply haven't had the time or energy to go there yet.

13. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Your plants don't look in ill health so I doubt you need to worry too much about the light levels if they are growing and blooming so well for you. Natural light is more forgiving than artificial light; I have killed some Aërangis by growing them too bright. I do think light meters are great for greenhouse growing but they are essential for growing under artificial light. The problem is that most angraecoids don't have foot candle recommendations in books or anywhere else. And though it sounds unbelievable, under artificial light orchids take a very long time to show that they are getting too much light upwards of 3-6 months and by that time the damage can be irreversible. I am keeping records and sharing my findings regarding light levels so others can replicate my success, especially those under artificial light.

I know what you mean about not having time or energy to take things to the next level. I'm lucky that Berkeley water is so good but I really should be testing the water just in case the water utility mixed in non-Hetch Hetchy water.

Still, I look forward to when you do get a light meter and start taking readings; it would be great to know what levels you are growing at.