Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Aerangis ellisii x thomsonii

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Reyna, Oct 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

This is an unusual primary hybrid that has bloomed for the first time. The plant is still small, but I am happy with the size and number of flowers. As far as I know this cross hasn't been registered yet. The tag actually says platyphylla x thomsonii, but platyphylla is "officially" ellisii -- at least for now.

I don't see much thomsonii influence, but in the few other crosses I have with ellisii as a parent it does seem quite dominant.

aerangis ellisii x thomsoni copyrighti.jpg Aerangis ellisii x thomsonii flower copyright.jpg aerangis ellisii x thomsonii plant sm.jpg

newbud likes this.
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Very nice! I haven't bloomed mine but i have high hopes. I'm starting to think that all of those platyphylla x crosses are going to end up looking the same. Still, they're pretty cool.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Is the color as honey colored as it appears on parts of the flower?

4. Reyna

No - my good camera is broken. That honey color is caused by the funky white balance and yellow light:)

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Bummer. Both on the camera and the dashed hope of a yellow aerangis.

6. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

You're right, no thomsonii influence neither in the flowers, nor in the leaves or in the global shape...in fact it looks like a little A.ellisii...
    Maybe there was a mistake during the cross...??

7. Reyna

This plant came from a reputable source--Cal Orchids--and presumably they got it from a nursery in South Africa like a lot of the other primary hybrids. But, it is entirely possible that the plant ended up selfing itself. But, yes, there isn't much thomsonii apparent in this plant anyway. :)

8. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

9. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like our favored departed member of Austrian origin, what does anyone suspect the hybrid to yield from one species or the other in their union?

10. Reyna

Well, that is a good question. I didn't make the cross, but when I saw the plant I was curious to see what it would look like. Both ellisii and thomsonii have the reflexed "birds in flight" flowers, so there isn't a huge difference. The leaves, of this plant at least, look more like the thomsonii. I don't have any great insights as to why someone made the cross . . . . :D