Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

$1800 Phragmipedium

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Selmo, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

We where at Bird's Botanicals in Kansas City a few months ago and saw this. A 1800 dollar Phragmipedium , yes it is beautiful and we would love to have one, but my god, if some thing ever happen to it. David Bird, the owner, grows orchids and other things underground in limestone caves. When KC was developing into city they mined out these caves for the rock to build the city. Now this caves are used for primarily underground storage. David is trying to pollinate it to make more (keeping fingers crossed) available and hopefully being the price down. It is called Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements 'Cardinal'. I have seen some pictures on the internet, but not of the variety 'cardinal'. sorry about photos he grows under HPS lights and everything has that yellow-orange glow ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1455737207.259502.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1455737233.500520.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1455737261.432839.jpg

2. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

I don't know how people justify prices like this, especially for hybrids. If it was some rare species that would be very hard to obtain maybe, but half these hybrids all look the same to me.

3. jai

jai Orchid addict

:eek: It must have a real gold inlay or genuine cut diamonds (lol Jk)

4. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Just to be fair , this is only one ( I think he had a couple of these) plant among thousands that he grows and most all are reasonably priced. He grows a lot of white phals for the florist trade in the Kansas City area. If you are ever in the KC area stop by it is a unique experience, he is very close to Kaufman Stadium ( home of the World Series Champion Royals). Here are a few pictures of some of his grow rooms inside (underground). ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1455742495.174988.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1455742520.766316.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1455742556.059858.jpg

Kipper and jai like this.
  5. carl

carl Active Member

Back when Penn Valley Orchids was in business, Bill Wilson had Paph. rothschildianum divisions (both the species and hyrids) going for up to $1000 per growth. And he had some big ones, too. I may have to dig out some of his old catalogs and have a look-see.

Anyway, that kind of price isn't uncommon for awarded Paphs and Phrags...

6. Dave The Scientist

I'm not questioning this grower in particular, I think valuing any plant at that much just because a few people( judges) decided it was extra pretty is ridiculous.

7. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I would take that as a "Not for sale" price, but if you REALLY want it...

Marni likes this.
  8. Dave The Scientist

That makes more sense.

9. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Think about producing a population with substandard parents and compare it to how easily (how desirable) a population from premium genetics will sell.

10. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I think the most expensive plant I've ever seen I was back in the early '80s. I received an offer from Kolopaking, of a wild-collected, blue Phalaenopsis violacea for $35,000. Once collected, the wild population was completely gone.

I certainly couldn't afford that, but whoever did has probably made out like a bandit, as that was the origin of ALL of the blue violacea genetics out there.